Thursday, January 31, 2013

Well how about that!

A couple days ago I detailed our well drilling experience, but I didn't have a picture of the finished product:
Ta-da.... We have a well!
I also mentioned that we would soon be receiving a well report and additional information from Moravec, which sure enough we received today. While there was some cut-and-dry information, such as well maintenance tips, disinfection procedures, and quotes on pump installations, we were totally caught by surprise by the well record:

  • WELL DEPTH:        120'
  • GPM:                        30+
  • CASED TO:             60'
  • HOLE DIAMETER: 6"
  • BACKFILLED:        BENTONITE
  • FORMATION 1:     0-53' SAND TILL & GRAVEL
  • FORMATION 2:     53-110' LIMESTONE - CAVES AT 110'
  • FORMATION 3:     110-120' LIMESTONE

First of all, 30 gallons/minute, all right! But, hold everything - does that say "CAVES"?? Really?!

I find this fascinating for two main reasons.... 1. CAVES!!! 2. I wonder how they know that detail? I think it's really interesting that they were able to determine formations and depths to such precision. I wonder what happens during the drilling process that suggests caves? I'm just curious.

But what I'm even more curious about is what it actually looks like down there! My imagination is running wild. I might have to ask around to some plumbing companies that do camera work to see whether going down 110' into a well is something they could do. Or I could look into a GoPro camera, which I know are supposed to be waterproof up to 197' (what a great excuse to finally get one)... Stay tuned on this mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment