Saturday, September 29, 2012

Time to find an architect?

Today's Democrat and Chronicle's Real Estate and Rental section had a helpful column about home building. It's actually part of a series that started last week, but I thought this week's installment was more useful for our purposes than what I read last week. You can read it here (or if that link stops working, as D&C links are apt to do after a week or so, I've also uploaded a copy).

Basically the article outlines the importance of hiring an architect. There wasn't necessarily a lot of information I didn't already know, but I really need some direction, so I found it useful. One thing I was surprised by was the author's estimation that a new custom designed house would cost about $200-$300 / sq ft - and that was with only "good" materials. I must admit, I did not expect costs to be that high - I wonder whether his definition of "good" is different than mine; if he assumes most custom houses are more extravagant than what we're thinking; or if I'm way under-estimating how much this whole venture is going to cost. If you use for example a 1500 sq ft house in the middle of that estimate, you're looking at $375K - wow. I would definitely like a cost breakdown on that estimate and more information on the assumptions made besides "good" materials.

The author also emphasizes how house design is a lengthy process, and that if we want to start building next summer we need to get the ball rolling now. While we want to get started right away anyways, we weren't necessarily feeling a sense of urgency before. Since we already have a plot of land picked out, as well as a number of ideas in mind, I'm hoping we are at least a little ways into the process already. On the other hand, I am feeling a bit of a mental roadblock trying to picture how everything will come together. (My situation reminds me of that point in the wedding-planning process that I decided it was worth hiring a wedding planner.)

It is quickly becoming apparent that we need to get moving on finding an architect. Do you know any architects that seem like they would resonate with some of the ideas mentioned in our last post? Please share names and contact info in the comments!

On a final note, I do appreciate the second-to-last paragraph in the article: 
"With most of today’s new homes designed by builders in order to maximize profits, it is no wonder that there is a proliferation of look-a-like boxes that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just how many gables does a roof need, anyway? Why are there no windows on the south side elevations to let in sunlight? Why is there wasted space in huge, two-story entryways with lighting fixtures and windows that one needs an extension ladder or scaffolding to reach?"
My thoughts, exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment